What To Know About Allegations Of Child Molestation
Allegations of child molestation are among the most serious sex crimes charges that can be filed against a person, particularly if:
- An individual has been accused of repeatedly molesting a child (i.e., a pattern of sexual abuse)
- The individual holds a position of trust in the community, such as a teacher, pastor, doctor, coach, etc.
- The individual is accused of molesting multiple children
- Other sex crimes charges — such as possession or distribution of child pornography — are also filed against the individual
Child Molestation Charges And Penalties Upon Conviction
According to Colorado law (C.R.S. 18-3-405), child molestation charges (which may also be referred to as sex assault on a child) can be filed when a person has been accused of engaging in sexual contact with an individual who is less than 15 years old and who is also at least four years younger than the alleged perpetrator. In such cases, child molestation charges can be filed as a:
- Class 4 felony that will be an extraordinary risk crime, which means that a conviction can result in between one and 16 years in prison, fines between $2,000 and $500,000, and mandatory registration as a Colorado sex offender for life
- Class 3 felony that will be an extraordinary risk crime, which can be punishable by between two and 32 years in prison (as well as mandatory registration as a Colorado sex offender for life and fines of up to $750,000), in the event that physical force or the threat of serious injury was used to facilitate sexual activity or that the molestation was committed as part of a pattern of sexual abuse
Denver Sex Crimes Defense Attorneys At Flesch & Beck Law
While our trusted Denver sex crimes attorneys are skilled at aggressively defending the rights of the accused both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also fiercely committed to helping our clients achieve the best possible resolution to their cases. To set up a free initial consultation, call us at .
YOU Deserve 1-on-1 Representation
Please call us at 720-689-0322 or email our team to speak with an attorney. We look forward to speaking with you.