Sex crimes are prosecuted vigorously and punished severely, in part because of the heinous nature and in part because sexual offenders are believed to be incurable. After a lengthy prison term, those who have been convicted are saddled with the heavy burden of sex offender registration.
Perhaps more than any type of crime, those accused of sexual offenses need to be afforded the foundation of our criminal justice system — presumed innocent until proven otherwise. At Flesch & Beck Law, we are unflinching advocates for our clients. The more serious the allegations, the more important it is to work with a firm that will fight for you.
The Severe Penalties For Sex Crime Convictions
Sex crime penalties in Colorado are particularly harsh because the law has been written and is applied under the assumption that most adult sex offenders cannot be cured of their deviant sexual preferences. As a result, sentencing for sex crimes – namely felony sex crimes – typically involves some combination of incarceration for extended periods of time, court-ordered supervision (in the form of probation or parole) and long-term treatment.
Mandatory prison time for sex crime convictions will generally come into play when:
- An individual is considered to be high risk because, for example, he has a history of deviant sexual behavior
- An individual has prior sex crime convictions on his criminal record
- An individual has violated the terms of his probation or parole by, for example, failing to register as a sex offender with the Colorado sex offender registry
- The sex offense in question involves a victim who was a child and a pattern of unlawful sexual contact with that child and/or when force or threats have been used in the commission of the sex crime
Indeterminate Sentencing For Sex Crimes
Unlike in other states, in Colorado, felony sex crime penalties involve what is known as indeterminate sentencing, which means that:
- A mandatory minimum prison sentence will be handed down in the case.
- The upper limit for incarceration is left open-ended, with the maximum possible period of imprisonment being life.
- Once a convicted individual has served his minimum sentence, the Colorado parole board will decide whether that individual should serve additional time (and, if so, what the new mandatory minimum will be) or whether to release the person on parole.
- Once a person is released on parole, the courts will decide how long that court-ordered supervision shall last.
Given that sex crime penalties can last a lifetime, it’s crucial that those accused of any sex offense in Colorado work with the experienced Denver sex crimes defense lawyers at Flesch & Beck Law to ensure that they have the best chances of resolving their cases as favorably as possible.
Experienced Criminal Defense For Sexual Offenses
Simply being accused of a sex crime can destroy a person’s reputation, career and family. In the event of a conviction, the drastic penalties will consume your freedom and your future. We provide a true defense for sex crime allegations, including:
- Rape or criminal sexual abuse
- Statutory rape (sex with a minor)
- Child molestation or sexual assault on a child
- Internet sex crimes (child pornography or soliciting a minor)
- Prostitution crimes
- Indecent exposure
The actual charges and potential penalties depend on the circumstances and aggravating factors, including age of the victim, the nature of the offense, use of force or offenses committed by a person in a position of trust. Most sex crimes are felonies, punishable by prison terms and long-term or lifetime registration as a sex offender.
You Are Entitled To Your Day In Court
We understand that sex crimes must be aggressively defended yet handled with sensitivity. You don’t want to be viewed as blaming the victim or re-victimizing a child. You certainly don’t want to be in the news. Yet you are on trial for your life, and the only way to protect yourself is to forcefully challenge the allegations.
We work to get evidence thrown out, such as unlawful searches or coerced statements. We question the investigators’ methods such as suggestive questions in interviews of children. We challenge the physical evidence and chain of custody. We challenge witness accounts and contradictions in the accuser’s story.
We Can Make A Difference In The Outcome
Kevin Flesch regularly takes cases to trial. That alone sets him apart from many defense lawyers whose main strategy is a plea bargain. We are prepared to do what it takes to spare you from the ongoing nightmare of a sex crime conviction.