What To Do After A Car Accident: 10 Key Things
These steps will help you make sure evidence from the accident is preserved, you get appropriate medical attention and your rights are protected. Pay close attention to the steps involving the insurance company. It is paramount that you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney before providing any recorded statement to any insurance representative.
Please call Flesch & Beck Law at 720-689-0322 when you are ready to speak with one of our lawyers. We are available by phone 24/7, and we look forward to speaking with you whether in person or by phone.
10 Steps To Take After A Car Accident
- Call the appropriate police agency to document the accident immediately. Call 911!
- Don’t move your vehicle unless instructed to by the police.
- Tend to your injuries and the occupants of your vehicle. Make sure there are no life-threatening injuries.
- Get witness information. Make sure to get telephone numbers, addresses and full names. Take pictures (if you are able to) of the witnesses to the accident.
- Get insurance information from all drivers involved, including information for the drivers and owners of the other vehicles if they are different. Make sure to get policy information, agent contact information and driver’s license information. If the police suggest that they are going to get all of the information, review it before everyone is released.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. Take pictures from as many angles as possible. If the accident is in an intersection, get pictures of the signal lights and other signage in the area. Paint the scene with your camera. And request highway/intersection video from the city or state if applicable within 72 hours.
- Get medical treatment right away. Explain to your treating physician all of your aches and pains. Don’t leave anything out, and make sure you follow the doctor’s orders.
- Get competent legal representation from an attorney who handles these matters regularly.
- Make sure you file claims with all of the appropriate car insurance carriers and confirm your coverage relating to liability, MedPay and uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) cases.
- Keep a diary of your daily life after the accident. Take notes about how you are feeling, how your treatment is going and any hardships you’re dealing with. Keep track of lost wages, documents other expenses and losses.
Following These Steps Sets Your Case Up For Success, But Nothing Is Guaranteed
Recovery can be difficult. Managing your daily life after serious injury compounds stress. Getting the maximum compensation you deserve shouldn’t be difficult, but it is extremely difficult, in fact. Insurance companies always put up high barriers to full and fair compensation, and they may even deny your claim initially.
This is where we come in. Our team brings over 20 years of Colorado trial lawyer experience to your case. We won’t let your compensation slip away.
If you hire Flesch & Beck Law, we will go to work for you right away. We will independently investigate your claim and prepare your case to defeat the toughest opposition. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can go to work in your best interests.
Call our firm in Denver or Englewood today at 720-689-0322 or email our team to request a free consultation with an attorney. We get paid only if you get paid. We cover all costs of investigation and litigation, and we are with you every step of the way.