Driving under the influence is a serious offense. The importance of hiring a good DUI lawyer cannot be overstated. Without a smart and aggressive response, your arrest can lead to jail, license suspension, a criminal record and other adverse consequences.
At Flesch & Beck Law, you have experienced drunk driving defense lawyers working your case. We feel confident in taking on even the most complex or seemingly hopeless DUI cases. Our legal team employs proven strategies to turn the tables — defeating the charges or minimizing the penalties.
DUI Attorneys For Metro Denver And Surrounding Colorado
Denver DUI attorney Kevin Flesch regularly tries cases, holding prosecutors and law enforcement to a high standard of proof. He has defended clients in every drunk driving scenario:
- First-time and repeat offense DUI
- Marijuana DUI and other drugs
- Underage DUI (zero tolerance)
- DUI hit-and-run and DUI injury accidents
- Sobriety checkpoint arrests
- Nonresident arrests on suspicion of drunk driving
Driving under the influence is typically a misdemeanor, but aggravating circumstances can result in felony DUI charges: multiple prior DUI convictions, a minor in the car, injury or fatality, or possession of drugs or weapons. With the possibility of prison time and a felony conviction, you need to fight the charges.
What To Expect In The Court Process When You’re Facing DUI Charges
Following an arrest or citation for driving under the influence (DUI), the accused will face a multistage legal process in court to determine his or her innocence or guilt (the criminal justice process in court is independent from the administrative hearing with the Colorado DMV during which loss or retention of driving privileges is determined).
At every step of the DUI court case process, it is essential that you have experienced legal counsel defending your rights and representing your interests in order to minimize the chance of conviction and/or any possible DUI penalties you may face.
How The DUI Court Case Process Unfolds
The DUI court case process starts with a court summons that requires you to go to court in order to face the complaint (i.e., charges) against you. Once you have received the summons detailing when and where you are to appear, the next steps of the DUI court case process are as follows:
- The arraignment will be the first time you confront a judge and the prosecutor. During the arraignment, the charges filed against you will be formally read, and you will be required to enter a plea (i.e., not guilty, no contest or guilty).
- When a “not guilty” plea is entered, a pretrial hearing will take place. During these proceedings, your DUI defense attorney will meet with the prosecutor to try to come to a plea agreement, which can involve either lesser charges or a less harsh punishment. These hearings attempt to settle the case before going to trial in an effort to save time and the expenses associated with the trial process.
- If a plea agreement is not reached, a suppression hearing may follow. During these hearings, your lawyer can argue that certain evidence be omitted from the trial and/or challenge the results of blood tests or field sobriety tests.
- The trial will be the next step; during trial, your attorney can present your defense either before a judge who will solely adjudicate the case or before a jury who will decide the verdict.
- Should a guilty determination be made, the sentencing process will follow. Depending on the nature of the case, your attorney may appeal a guilty verdict.
At Flesch & Beck Law our accomplished Denver DUI attorneys have proven records of successfully defending those accused of DUI. We believe that our clients are innocent until proven guilty, and we will work tirelessly to build them the strongest possible defense case at every stage of the Denver DUI court case process. Our fierce litigating skills — coupled with our comprehensive knowledge of Colorado DUI law and our steadfast dedication to our clients — consistently help us achieve the most favorable possible outcomes to our clients’ cases.
The Importance Of Hiring A Good Defense
A DUI arrest is frightening and humiliating, and a conviction has far-reaching consequences. Too many people think that a breathalyzer reading of .08 is “game over.” This is not the case if you have a lawyer who knows how to challenge the evidence and how that evidence was obtained. We examine the traffic stop and field sobriety tests, the breath and blood tests, the observations of drug recognition experts, and every word of the arrest reports.
We are familiar with the harsh DUI penalties under Colorado law and will do everything we can to limit the impact on your life. In addition to shepherding you through the criminal court proceedings, we will represent you in your Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) hearing to fight for preservation or restoration of your driving privileges.
From bail hearings and arraignments to trial proceedings, our savvy Denver DUI defense lawyers will aggressively assert your rights in an effort to try to get criminal charges reduced or dropped entirely.
Equipped And Committed To Making A Difference
Choosing a lawyer is difficult, especially if you have never had to seek legal counsel in the past. We firmly believe in the presumption of innocence, and our skilled attorneys will do what it takes to reach the most favorable outcome in your case.
Our proven DUI defense team can improve your situation. With offices in Englewood and Denver, we handle cases statewide. We offer a FREE, no-obligation consultation. Call (303) 806-8886 or use our email contact form.