If you are arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) in Colorado and you are not a resident of the state, you can still face serious consequences both in Colorado and in your home state, as Colorado — like most other states — participates in the Driver License Compact (an agreement in which states notify other states regarding license suspensions and traffic violations that their residents committed while out of state).
In such cases, the accused will be facing a complicated battle that will likely include court proceedings in Colorado and administrative dealings with their state’s Division of Motor Vehicles (or the corresponding state agency).
Denver DUI Penalties For Out-Of-State Defendants
In most cases, the penalties for a Denver DUI conviction for out-of-state residents will be similar to those for Colorado residents — the primary difference being that some of the penalties will be carried out in Colorado while others will be carried out in the state of residency. Among the possible penalties that non-Colorado residents face for DUI conviction include (but may not be limited to):
- Jail sentence
- License suspension (This will be determined and governed by the state of residency, as the Colorado DMV cannot suspend licenses it has not issued.)
- Community service and probation
- Alcohol education classes
- Marks on your criminal record
- Non-court-ordered consequences such as loss of employment, increased insurance premiums and damage to your reputation
Get A Strong Defense Of Your Case
These complex cases can be extremely difficult to handle without the help of a legal professional, especially considering that they can require you to return to Colorado and deal with a court and legal process that you have no experience with. Consequently, we strongly urge nonresidents to work with our legal team in order to resolve their case as efficiently and advantageously as possible. In addition to our vast experience with Colorado DUI law, we have:
- The skills and connections to try to resolve your case with minimal penalties
- A proven track record of successfully defending out-of-state DUI defendants
- A network of colleagues across the nation that we can put you in contact with if you have further legal matters to handle in your state of residency
We believe those individuals who seek the help of an experienced Denver DUI attorney face the best odds in court, and we will work tirelessly to help them achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. For a FREE, no-obligations initial consult, contact us today by emailing us or calling (303) 806-8886.