Strategic Defense Against Indecent Exposure Charges
Although indecent exposure is generally considered to be one of the less serious sex offenses that a person can be charged with, the effects of indecent exposure charges — or, worse yet, a conviction on these charges — can have devastating impacts to a person’s social and professional lives, as those convicted of indecent exposure will be required to register as a Colorado sex offender. According to Colorado law (C.R.S. 18-7-302), indecent exposure (which may also be referred to as public lewdness, public indecency or sexual misconduct) is defined as the act of intentionally:
- Exposing one’s genitals so that they may be viewed by another person
- Trying to upset or alarm another person through the exposure of one’s genitals
- Trying to obtain some type of sexual gratification through the exposure of one’s genitals
According to this definition, any of the following acts could result in indecent exposure charges being filed against a person:
- Nude sunbathing in a public place or within view of others
- Nude photography in a public place
- Streaking at a sporting event
- Accidentally exposing oneself due to a clothing malfunction
- Public urination
If an individual has no or one prior indecent exposure conviction, the indecent exposure charge will be filed as a class 1 misdemeanor offense, which can be punishable by up to 18 months in jail and up to $5,000 in fines. If, however, a person has two or more indecent exposure convictions (even if these convictions occurred in other states), then the indecent exposure charges will likely be filed as a class 6 felony, which can be punishable by up to two years in prison and up to $100,000 in fines.
Denver Sex Crimes Defense Attorneys At Flesch & Beck Law
While our trusted Denver sex crimes attorneys are skilled at aggressively defending the rights of the accused both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also fiercely committed to helping our clients achieve the best possible resolution to their cases. To set up a free initial consultation, call us at .