Call for Your Free Consultation
(303) 806-8886
Auto Accidents / Feb 24,2021

Just a fender-bender? Get checked out to be sure

When someone hits your vehicle while traveling at a fairly slow speed, it’s called a fender-bender. All of the people involved may get out of their vehicles and feel okay at the time. They might have a minor cut or bruise from the impact or a slight headache.

Fender-benders don’t always seem serious, but the truth is that they can be harmful. They could cause whiplash, neck and back injuries, cuts or wounds that could become infected, or other injuries.

Although this may not seem like a significant crash that would require you to seek medical care or to call the police, it’s still a good idea to do so.

What should you do after a fender-bender?

Initially, the first thing you should do is call 911. You need to have the police come to the scene. An ambulance may be needed if you hit your head or hurt yourself in the crash, even if it seems minor at the moment. Remember, as swelling occurs, an injury may worsen quickly.

You should also call for support immediately because of the chance that others could be hurt. If you haven’t spoken to anyone involved in the crash yet, make the call first and then get out to check on them.

Once you speak with the other driver, let them know that you did call for help. If they need help, make sure you give it to them to the best of your ability. For example, if they hit their head and it’s bleeding, be sure to help them compress that wound until help arrives.

You can also exchange insurance information, take photos of the scene and collect evidence. Don’t say or do anything that may imply that you believe the crash is your fault.

Once the authorities arrive, go to the hospital. Even though you may feel fine at the moment, you need an exam to check your neck and back at the very least. Prevention can help you avoid more serious pain in the next few days if your provider can get you on the right treatments for whiplash, swelling or other painful conditions.

Don’t be concerned about covering the cost of that care. Your insurance, or the at-fault party’s insurance, should cover it. If you have questions, your attorney can help you start your claim and answer any questions about the collision and personal injury claim you may have.

Share Our Blog

If this blog helped you in your search for reliable legal information, consider sharing with your friends on social media!

Get started with a superior representation that comes with a personal touch. Our team handles cases in the Denver Metro Area and throughout Colorado. Please get in touch with us today, either by phone or online. We look forward to speaking with you.

Our Locations

Englewood Office

333 W. Hampden Avenue Suite 750
Englewood, CO 80110
Fax: (303) 806-8882
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute a client relationship.
smartphoneuploadmagnifiercross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram