The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (USCPSC) maintains a database of injuries that are reported at emergency room and that involve consumer products. With the Christmas season being the height of a consumer-centric economy, there are naturally a large number of entries for this time of year. In the spirit of the holidays, we’ve set this article to the “tune” of the 12 Days of Christmas.
“…12 Drummers Drumming…97 Ornament-Related Injuries?”
In 2015, there were nearly 100 ornament-related situations that were severe enough to warrant trips to the emergency room. These include things such as children putting ornaments in their mouths, people stepping on Christmas ornaments and cutting their feet, cutting hands on ornaments, and falling onto ornaments (or even whole boxes of ornaments) and being cut.
“…Seven Swans A Swimming…68 Trees Attacking?”
The most recent data provided by the USCPSC shows that there were 68 emergency visits reported that involved Christmas Tree injuries. What counts as a Christmas tree injury? A wide range of situations, including:
- Falling while unplugging Christmas tree
- Christmas trees falling on people
- Tripping on Christmas tree stands
- Experiencing lower back pain after putting up a Christmas tree
- Using an axe to cut down a Christmas tree and cutting yourself in the process
- Fainting while putting ornaments on the Christmas tree and then hitting your head on the floor
- Reaching to catch a falling Christmas tree and injuring your rotator cuff in the process
Possibly the worst of all of these injuries? The male patient who ended up at the ER because a piece of metal from the artificial Christmas tree branches impaled his hand.
“…Three French Hens…Two Injuries While Visiting Santa?”
Sadly, the USCPSC reports that two children who were visiting Santa (at separate locations), had a less than jolly experience. A 4-year-old boy sat on a divider chain while in the waiting line and hit his head hard on floor when he fell. He suffered a closed head injury. Elsewhere, a 17-month-old girl was at a “breakfast with Santa” when she got so excited that she tripped and broke her nose.
No matter what you’re doing this holiday season, be sure to be careful and stay safe!