Driving on the highway is different than driving in the city. Not only are you moving at a higher rate of speed, but you’re also more likely to find yourself in close proximity to large commercial vehicles.
There’s nothing you can do to control other drivers, but there are safety tips you can follow to help prevent an accident. Here are five to keep in mind every time you find yourself on the highway:
- Obey the speed limit: It can be a challenge, especially if traffic is moving fast, but obeying the speed limit improves your safety. Also, don’t hesitate to slow down if traffic is heavy, you’re in a construction zone or there is inclement weather in the area.
- Leave more space: A safe following distance is a must, as this gives you more time to react if the vehicle in front of yours comes to an abrupt stop. As a general rule of thumb, leave a minimum of three seconds stopping time between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Share the road: Being a good driver means sharing the road with others, including passenger vehicles and commercial trucks. Don’t cut people off, brake suddenly (unless necessary) or attempt to run another driver off the road.
- Stay in the right lane: The left lane is for passing, so you shouldn’t stay here for an extended period of time.
- Avoid distractions: From texting to talking with passengers, distractions are everywhere. Avoiding these when driving on the highway is a must, as even a minor distraction can cause a major accident.
When you follow these highway driving safety tips, you’ll feel better about your ability to safely reach your destination.
If another driver, such as a negligent trucker, causes an accident, move to safety and check yourself for injuries. Don’t hesitate to call 911, as the dispatcher can send police and ambulance to the scene.
Once you receive treatment and understand your prognosis, revisit the cause of the accident and the steps you can take to protect your legal rights in Colorado. There are many ways to receive compensation for your injuries and related damages.
Visit our website and read our blog for more information on safe driving and what to do in the event of an accident.