As a passenger in an app-based private driving service like Uber, convenience is key. Wherever you are, a driver will be nearby who can take you wherever you need to go with just a few pushes of a button on your phone. You can even select a driver based on their rating, giving you a better chance of having a smooth ride.
But that convenience can come at a big cost to you if you do not know the protocol following an accident with a driving service.
Assuming you are able, the first thing you need to do is call 911. While your initial assessment may reveal that everyone is okay, only medical professionals can make that determination. In fact, injuries often reveal themselves days or weeks after an accident, so you would be smart to have a complete health assessment as soon as possible.
After 911 is called, begin documenting the accident. Doing so is only possible if you are physically able to move without causing further injury and if the accident scene is safe.
- Take pictures to document the crash scene and the effected vehicles.
- Talk to witnesses and ask them to stay until police arrive on scene to take their eyewitness account.
- Write down license plates, drivers names, contact information, insurance information.
- Take a picture of any dashboard camera’s in the vehicle.
How does insurance work?
If an Uber driver has their app turned on, they are likely covered for up to $1 million in the following categories in the state of Colorado:
- Third party liability coverage
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage
- Contingent collision and comprehensive coverage
The major caveat here is that Uber drivers must have their app turned on for this coverage to apply. If the app is off, the drivers are operating their vehicle under their own insurance policy, which they are required to have. Coverage also varies by state.
It is important to know that attorney’s representing Uber will do all that they can to reduce payouts. Contacting a law firm who has the legal experience to conduct a fact-finding accident scene investigation is in your best interest.